Sofa Slipcover (so far)

Good Morning! I don’t know how many of you are digging out today. Here in Illinois it seems the most that anyone got was 1 or 2 inches of snow. And the sun is shining today!

I’m nearing the completion of the sofa slipcover. Must admit it started a bit daunting. I decided as usual to not rush this project even though it would mean the house be a bit upset for awhile. I wasn’t really sure how I was going to handle all of the differenet pieces. As you will see in the photos it has rounded, rolled arms.

One of my decisions is how to handle the back of the sofa. It needs to be interesting enough to be able to stand freely in the room. It has a certain roll to it as well. The second photo here shows how I used a ribbon tie to finish off the chair.
unfinishedsofabluechair 030
unfinishedsofabluechair 031

I am actually doing alot more hand sewing on it then I thought I would be, but I think it is giving it a better fit than otherwise might have been. And I think when it comes to cleaning the slipcover it will be beneficial.

I don’t know if you remember from my previous post that I had not only washed and dried the dropcloths, but had bleached them as well. Number one because I wanted a lighter off white look, and two, I will be able to wash them when it comes time for cleaning them.

The arm ended up being three pieces put together by part machine sewing and part hand sewing. I think I’m probably going to do a little stapling as well due to the way the roll goes over the sides of the sofa.
unfinishedsofabluechair 033

Basically what it takes to make a slipcover is cutting pieces of your fabric as it is layed on the sofa or chair. As you can see from this last photo I still need to find the correct hem length and do the cushions. Working on that while we speak.
unfinishedsofabluechair 035

And so it is back to it. Really would like to have it completed by the weekend so I can put the house back together.
Have a great day and stay warm!
Doris

Advertisements

Slipcovers From Dropcloths

For the most part the chair and ottoman slipcovers are finished. I noticed this morning that I want to do a little adjustment on the ottoman corners and I want to add a ribbon to the back of the chair due to the fabric not being as form fitting as I had liked.
chaircover 080

For starters of course you need to find the dropcloths. I ended up ordering mine from Amazon. Great price and free shipping! There was a difference in the type of fabric from the dropcloths I had used for the draperies. At first I was dismayed, but after working with the fabric and a little more thought I am glad the fabric is different. Why? This fabric has a little bit of a nubby texture to it which I love. Also, I’m really glad it is not all matchy matchy. Here is a photo of the different types of dropcloth fabric. The one on the right is the drapery fabric. It really is a personal preference.
chaircover 085

I cut the dropcloths along the finished seams. Some people use these seams, I prefer not to, they seem a little clunky to me.
chaircover 082

Cutting them makes them more manageable and an easy fit into a home washer and dryer versus taking them to a laundromat. I bleached the pieces with 2 cups of bleach per washload. Two reasons. First, I didn’t care for the amout of the unbleached look that they had, and secondly, at some point they will need to be cleaned. By starting them off washed and bleached I know how the fabric will look with a good cleaning. Also, I washed them in hot water and dried them in a dryer to shrink them to a true size.
chaircover 088
I wanted the chaircover to have a more relaxed fir, therefore, the only measuring I did was for the skirt. I have made slipcovers twice before and this technique has served me well. I layed a large section of fabric over the chair and cut it to fit, starting with the back. Then I moved on to the arms of the chair.
chaircover 091
I played with the fabric a bit. I wasn’t quite sure how I wanted to handle the arms of the chair. I wanted a soft look. I ended up simply gathering the excess fabric together and tucking it behind a front panel. I love the finished look.
chaircover 092
Next came the skirt of the chair. I measured all around and added an extra 5 inches for every box pleat that I wanted. I ended up with one at each front corner and two hugging the back corners, pinning and fitting as I went along.
chaircover 095
chaircover 096
Here’s a tip……if you pin the pieces together while they are on the chair, remove the cover, sew the seams, press and turn the piece, you can then easily place it back on the chair.
Here is the completed chair. (or almost. Like I said earlier I decided this morning that it needs a ribbon tie back for the back of the chair.)
chaircover 109
Oops! Here is a before photo:
chaircover 087