Good Morning! I don’t know how many of you are digging out today. Here in Illinois it seems the most that anyone got was 1 or 2 inches of snow. And the sun is shining today!
I’m nearing the completion of the sofa slipcover. Must admit it started a bit daunting. I decided as usual to not rush this project even though it would mean the house be a bit upset for awhile. I wasn’t really sure how I was going to handle all of the differenet pieces. As you will see in the photos it has rounded, rolled arms.
One of my decisions is how to handle the back of the sofa. It needs to be interesting enough to be able to stand freely in the room. It has a certain roll to it as well. The second photo here shows how I used a ribbon tie to finish off the chair.
I am actually doing alot more hand sewing on it then I thought I would be, but I think it is giving it a better fit than otherwise might have been. And I think when it comes to cleaning the slipcover it will be beneficial.
I don’t know if you remember from my previous post that I had not only washed and dried the dropcloths, but had bleached them as well. Number one because I wanted a lighter off white look, and two, I will be able to wash them when it comes time for cleaning them.
The arm ended up being three pieces put together by part machine sewing and part hand sewing. I think I’m probably going to do a little stapling as well due to the way the roll goes over the sides of the sofa.
Basically what it takes to make a slipcover is cutting pieces of your fabric as it is layed on the sofa or chair. As you can see from this last photo I still need to find the correct hem length and do the cushions. Working on that while we speak.
And so it is back to it. Really would like to have it completed by the weekend so I can put the house back together.
Have a great day and stay warm!